Recommended Therapeutic Essential Oils Reference Books
Consider borrowing therapeutic essential oils books from your local library if you can find them or browse local bookstores to find ones you to buy for your personal health library. Most titles may be ordered through your favorite bookstore. Or buy on-line for mail-order delivery using the Amazon.com links in our listings, or from other on-line bookstores, or from author / distributor sites. Check out our EOH blog store for other great titles & books on hydrosols (ie. hydrolats, essential waters).
~ History, Chemistry, General Reference
- Gattefossé, Rene-Maurice. Aromatherapy. Great Britain: C.S. Daniel Company Limited, 1995.
- Hildegard von Bingen. Hildegard von Bingen's Physica: The Complete English Translation of Her Classic Work on Health and Healing. Translated by Priscilla Throop. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1998.
- Hildegard von Bingen. Hildegard's Healing Plants: From Her Medieval Classic Physica. Translated by Bruce W. Hozeski. Boston, MA: Beacon Press Books, 2001.
- Krymow, Vincenzina. Healing Plants of the Bible: History, Lore, & Meditations. Cincinnati, OH: St. Anthony Press, 2002.
- Lawless, Julia. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils: The Complete Guide to the Use of Oils in Aromatherapy and Herbalism (Illustrated Encyclopedia). Shaftesbury, Dorset, England: Element Books, 1995.
- Manwaring, Brian, editor. Essential Oils Desk Reference (3rd Edition). Salem, UT: Essential Science Publishing, 2004.
- Price, Len and Shirley. Understanding Hydrolats: The Specific Hydrosols for Aromatherapy: A Guide for Health Professionals. Edinburg: Churchill Livingstone, 2004.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt. Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1995.
- Smith, Linda. Healing Oils Healing Hands, Discovering the Power of Prayer, Hands On Healing and Anointing. HTSM Press, Arvada, CO, 2003.
- Stewart, David. Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple: God's Love Manifest in Molecules. Marble Hill, MO: CARE, Inc. 2005.
- Young, D. Gary. Essential Oils Integrative Medical Guide: Building Immunity, Increasing Longevity, and Enhancing Mental Performance With Therapeutic-Grade Essential Oils. Payson, UT: Young Living Essential Oils, 2003.
~ Art & Application for Physical & Emotional Well-Being
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy: Essential Oils in Practice, second edition. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 2003.
- Cooksley, Valerie Gennari. Aromatherapy: Soothing Remedies to Restore, Rejuvenate and Heal, Second Edition Paramus, NJ: Prentice Hall Press, 2002.
- Damian, Peter and Kate. Aromatherapy: Scent and Psyche: Using Essential Oils for Physical and Emotional Well-Being Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1995.
- Davis, Patricia. Subtle Aromatherapy. Great Britain: C.W. Daniel Company Limited, 1991.
- Eidson, Deborah.Vibrational Healing: Revealing the Essence of Nature through Aromatherapy and Essential Oils. Berkeley, CA: Frog, Ltd., 2000.
- Ericksen, Marlene. Healing With Aromatherapy. Lincolnwood, IL: Keats Publishing, 2000.
- Farrer-Halls, Gill. Meditations and Rituals Using Aromatherapy Oils. New York: Sterling Publishing, 2001.
- Freidmann MD, Terry Shepherd. Freedom Through Health. Northglenn, CO: Harvest Publishing, 1998.
- Gould, Francesca. Aromatherapy for Holistic Therapists. Great Britain: Nelson Thornes Ltd, 2003.
- Lawless, Julia. Aromatherapy and the Mind. London: Thorsons, 1994.
- Mein, Carolyn L. Releasing Emotional Patterns with Essential Oils. Rancho Santa Fe, CA: VisionWare Press, 1998.
- Miczak, Marie. How Flowers Heal: The Mind, Body & Soul. Lincoln, NE: The Writers Club Press, 2000.
- Miller, Light and Bryan Miller. Ayurveda & Aromatherapy, Earth Guide. Twin Lakes, WI: Lotus Press, 1995.
- Mojay, Gabriel. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit: Restoring Emotional and Mental Balance with Essential Oils. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1997.
- Price, Shirley and Len Price. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, Third Edition. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2007.
- Price, Shirley. Aromatherapy and Your Emotions. London: Thorsons, 2000.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt. Medical Aromatherapy: Healing with Essential Oils. Berkeley, CA: Frog, LTD., 1999.
- Sibley, Veronica. Aromatherapy Solutions: Essential Oils to Lift the Mind, Body and Spirit. Great Britain: Hamlyn, 2004. * Stewart, David. Healing Oils of the Bible. Marble Hill, MO: CARE, Inc., 2002.
- Smith, Linda. Essential Oils for Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Healing & 2 student workbooks. $50 ISBN 0-9765972-2-5 (Paperback) HTSM Press, Arvada, CO, 2005.
- Strehlow, Wighard, and Gottfried Hertzka. Hildegard of Bingen's Medicine (Folk Wisdom Series). Santa Fe, NM: Bear and Company, 1988.
- Tisserand, Robert B. The Art of Aromatherapy: The Healing and Beautifying Properties of the Essential Oils of Flowers and Herbs. (Original edition)) Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1977.
- Tisserand, Robert B. The Art of Aromatherapy. (Revised edition)) Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, November 2004.
- Truman, Karol. Feelings Buried Alive Never Die Las Vegas, NV: Olympus Distributors, 1991.
- Truman, Karol. Healing Feelings from Your Heart. Las Vegas, NV: Olympus Distributors, 2001.
- Valnet MD, Jean. The Practice of Aromatherapy: A Classic Compendium of Plant Medicines and Their Healing Properties. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1990.
- Wall, Carly. The Scented Veil: Using Scent to Awaken the Soul. Virginia Beach, VA: A.R.E. Press, 2002.
- Worwood, Valerie Ann. The Fragrant Heavens. Novato, CA: New World Library, 1999.
- Worwood, Valerie Ann. The Fragrant Mind: Aromatherapy for Personality, Mind, Mood and Emotion. Novato, CA: New World Library, 1996.
~ Family Health / Parents, Babies & Children...and Pets
- Deardeuff, LeAnne DC & David DC. Inner Transformations Using Essential Oils, Powerful Cleansing Protocols for Increased Energy and Better Health. Orem, UT: Essential Science Publishing, October 2006
- DeVita, Sabina. Use Common 'Scents' To Care For Your Pets. Brampton, ON, Canada: Wellness Institute, (2003) 17-page booklet $6/ea (Canada)
- England, Allison Aromatherapy and Massage for Mother and Baby. Rochester VT: Healing Arts Press 2000
- Higley, Alan, Connie Higley. Reference Guide for Essential Oils, Tenth Edition. Spanish Fork, Utah: Abundant Health, October 2006.
- Pénoël, Daniel, Rose-Marie Pénoël. Natural Home Health Care Using Essential Oils.
An American English translation from the French original titled "Practique Aromatique Familiale." Hurricane, Utah: Essential Science Publishing, 1998.
- Price, Shirley and Penny Price Parr. Aromatherapy For Babies And Children. San Francisco: Thorsons [Harper-Collins], 1996.
Beauty & Nutrition
If you're NEW to therapeutic essential oils with no idea where to begin...what EOs to buy & use first...check this list of my family's favorite 'all-purpose' oils. It was originally compiled for an alternative health friend, who asked me for some ideas of "where to begin."